Current:Home > ContactSan Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting -Prime Capital Blueprint
San Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:34:18
The University of Nevada has made it clear that its Oct. 26 volleyball match against San Jose State will go on as scheduled after the team’s players released an independent statement saying they would “refuse to participate in any match that advances injustice against female athletes.”
Four teams had previously canceled games against San Jose State: Boise State, Southern Utah, Utah State and Wyoming, with none of the schools explicitly saying why they were forfeiting.
“We demand that our right to safety and fair competition on the court be upheld,” read the Nevada players’ statement, which the university said Monday was released the day prior without consultation with school officials.
The Republican governors of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming have made public statements in support of the cancellations, citing a need for fairness in women’s sports.
Nevada’s Republican Governor, Joe Lombardo, posted Tuesday on the social platform X that he “wholeheartedly respect the decision of the players. No student athlete should ever be pressured to play a game where they don’t feel safe — period.”
San Jose State has not made any direct comments about the politicians’ “fairness” references.
Nevada’s athletic department cited state equality laws as the reason it couldn’t back out of its match, while acknowledging most of the players said they wouldn’t take the court.
The athletic department also stated the university is “governed by federal law as well as the rules and regulations of the NCAA and the Mountain West Conference, which include providing competition in an inclusive and supportive environment.”
Nevada’s Republican lieutenant governor also supported a cancellation before the school corrected its course.
The athletic department said players will not be subject to disciplinary action if they refuse to participate in the match.
“The players’ decision and statement were made independently, and without consultation with the University or the athletic department,” Nevada athletics’ statement read. “The players’ decision also does not represent the position of the University.”
Nevada senior Sia Liilii told OutKick the team was upset with its athletic department.
“We decided that we’re going to stand in solidarity with other teams that have already forfeited and that we wouldn’t participate in a game that advances sex-based discrimination or injustice against female athletes,” Liilii told the website.
The cancellations could cause some teams to not qualify for the conference tournament Nov. 27-30 in Las Vegas.
___
AP college sports: https://apnews.com/hub/college-sports
veryGood! (6447)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 10-year-old boy from Maryland bitten by shark while on vacation in Bahamas, police say
- Jason Kelce showed his strength on the field and in being open with his emotions
- 'Work from anywhere' downside: potential double taxation from states. Here's what to know.
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- U.S. judge blocks JetBlue's acquisition of Spirit, saying deal would hurt consumers
- Ohio child hurt in mistaken police raid, mom says as authorities deny searching the wrong house
- 3M now issuing payments to vets as part of $6 billion settlement over earplugs
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Burt's Bees, Hidden Valley Ranch launch lip balm inspired by buffalo chicken wings
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- The 19 Best Hair Masks to Give Your Dry, Damaged Hair New Life
- Who is the Super Bowl 58 halftime show performer? What to know about this year's show
- Donald Trump tops off a long day in court with a long, rambling speech at New Hampshire rally
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Official in Poland’s former conservative government charged in cash-for-visas investigation
- New York Knicks owner James Dolan and Harvey Weinstein accused of sexual assault in new complaint
- Blinken promises Ukraine's leader enduring U.S. support as war with Russia nears 2-year mark
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Pakistan condemns Iran over bombing allegedly targeting militants that killed 2 people
Lorne Michaels teases 'SNL' successor: 'It could easily be Tina Fey'
How Natalia Bryant Is Channeling Late Dad Kobe Into Her Own Legacy
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Ice-T and Coco’s “Jungle Sex” Confession Will Make You Blush
Louisiana lawmakers advance bill that would shift the state’s open ‘jungle’ primary to a closed one
IIHF says Israel can play in an upcoming tournament after initially barring it for security concerns